This post contains affiliate links and our team will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on the links.
As Disneyland approaches its 60th anniversary, Disney twenty-three brings readers inside the party, with an in-depth look at how the park is celebrating this milestone with new parades, spectaculars, and enhancements to popular attractions. In preparation for the landmark occasion, D23: The Official Disney Fan Club took Disney Legend Marty Sklar—who worked at Disneyland on opening day—and Walt Disney Imagineering Chief Creative Executive Bruce Vaughn on a walk through Disneyland, where they reminisce about details from the past, such as the park’s legendary opening day, and look ahead at all the excitement yet to come.
Also in the Summer issue, available exclusively to D23 Gold Members, the Walt Disney Archives unveils rarely showcased ephemera from Disneyland’s opening including a media pass and concept art for freeway billboards promoting the world’s first theme park. And for Disney parks foodies, there’s a look at some of the park’s signature snacks, from Dole Whips and turkey legs to churros and Mickey Mouse ice cream bars.
Plus, film critic, historian, and co-producer of the Walt Disney Treasures DVD series Leonard Maltin gives a behind-the-scenes look at Disney’s three big summer movies featuring exclusive interviews with Tomorrowland director Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Ratatouille), Inside Out director Pete Docter (Monsters, Inc., Up), and Ant-Man director Peyton Reed. Each director offers Maltin—who authored the book The Disney Films—a fascinating look at the creation of the colorful, complicated, and magnificent worlds of their three films.
Also included in the Summer issue of Disney twenty-three:
- Rarely seen photos from the Disneyland Hotel’s storied history
- A look inside a Disneyland Pitch Portfolio that was used to sell East Coast investors on Walt’s vision for the park
- Fifty years of Disney Ambassadors and how they bring magic to people around the globe
- Newlyweds share the stories of their beautiful Disney-themed weddings
- An up-close look at the beloved animated feature Pinocchio with historian J.B. Kaufman
- Regular columns including A Walk with Walt, D Society, and Ask Dave
Other features coming to D23.com include:
- Disney Legend Marty Sklar talking about the past and future of Disneyland as the park celebrates its 60th anniversary
- A robust gallery of images of Disneyland through the years
- A dazzling display of wedding cakes to bring a sweet finish to any Disney fan’s wedding, from classic confections to truly innovative tastes for all the senses
Disney twenty-three, which is delivered directly to fans’ doorsteps, is offered exclusively to D23 Gold Members as a benefit of their membership. The latest issue will begin arriving late May.