Want to make a delicious snack with a Disney twist in your own home? Most grown-ups still consider tomato soup and grilled cheese a favorite comfort food. The Disney chefs took this classic and made it a healthful finger food that’s perfect as an after-school snack or supper for everyone.
In less than hour you’ll have freshly made tomato soup (forget the canned version). Cut grilled cheese into strips that are perfect for little hands – and dipping in the soup is the fun part. Add crunchy apple wedges on the side for a satisfying crunch.
You’ll find it on the menu at Tony’s Town Square in Magic Kingdom Park, but here’s a version for you to make at home.
Tomato Soup, Cheese Dippers and Apple Slices
Serves 4 to 6
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced small
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups tomato puree
1 sprig each fresh thyme, rosemary, basil, and tarragon
2 cups water
1 teaspoon coarse salt, more to taste
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more to taste
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Multigrain Cheese Dippers
8 slices multigrain bread
16 thin slices provolone cheese
Olive oil spray
Green Apple Wedges
3 Granny Smith apples
For tomato soup:
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato puree; cook 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in herbs and water; turn heat to low and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Strain through a medium strainer set over a bowl, pushing soup through with a spatula. Whisk in tomato paste, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
For multigrain cheese dippers:
- Make 4 sandwiches, each with 2 slices of bread and 4 slices of provolone.
- Spray tops and bottoms of sandwiches with olive oil spray.
- Heat sauté pan over medium heat and grill each side 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden.
- Cut each sandwich into 4 equal strips. Serve hot.
Core and slice each apple into 6 wedges.
Evenly divide dippers and apples slices with 3/4 cup soup.
Favorite After-School Snack from Tony’s Town Square in Magic Kingdom Park by Pam Brandon: Originally posted on the Disney Parks Blog