This post contains affiliate links and our team will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on the links.
After setting single-day attendance and charitable donation records in 2015, the LA County Fair ups the ante in 2016 to get even more Southern Californians to embrace their star-spangled, ride-loving, fried food-eating, livestock-petting roots at America’s biggest county fair in terms of acres and fun.
Instead of just attending the 94th annual celebration, which runs Sept. 2-25, 2016, at Fairplex in Pomona, the public is being challenged to “Dare to Fair” to get the absolute most out of the Fair’s adventure-packed 487 acres. In fact, for the first time ever, a new marketing icon has been revealed as official fun ambassador to ensure that this year’s Fair guests have their most epic fair experience ever.
New-for-2016 attractions range from three acres of life-size animatronic dinosaurs and a reimagined “Bodies” exhibit to the ultimate hands-on sports experience, an ice-skating, snow-sledding wonderland, walk-through floral paintings and the 16-night End of Summer Concert Series with the biggest names in music – plus all-new signature food creations exclusive to the LA County Fair.
Five exciting new reasons to return to the LA County Fair in 2016 include:
– Jurassic Planet – Thirty-five life-sized dinosaurs including a 44-foot-long T-Rex have escaped the Fairplex Bio-Research Facility – but, while still wild and unpredictable, have become domesticated enough after years in captivity for public encounters. This three- acre animatronic adventure includes a hands-on dinosaur museum, live shows, fossil prep lab and dig hosted by real paleontologists. Come back after the sun goes down when special lighting and music create an even more memorable experience. See the Fair website for admission prices.
– Our Body: The Universe Within – Go under the skin of human anatomy – literally! – with this fascinating, educational exhibit of 200 uniquely preserved human specimens offering a vibrant, 3D view of our bodies usually reserved just for doctors.
– Let the Games Begin – This year’s immersive experience explores the origins and science of America’s “Big Six” sports – baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer and golf – through elaborately themed displays, hands-on activities and rare memorabilia.
– The Igloo – Chill-out in our Arctic Village with Polar Ice Rink* and Penguin Sled Run* made with real ice and snow! Shop the Arctic Promenade for cool products and come back after 6pm for an all-ages dance party featuring DJ Cool and periodic snow storms.
– Watercolors: The Art of Flowers – 2016’s Flower & Garden Pavilion makeover explores the intersection of watercolors and flowers via real-life re-creations of famous paintings, dramatic walk-through landscapes and classes taught by our onsite floral experts.
This year’s Fair promises a full menu of original Fair foods, including the world premiere of Deep-Fried Hot Sauce, a 2016 LA County Fair exclusive served in a bag or as a spicy kabob, and the return of last year’s wildly popular Deep-Fried Guacamole and the all-time favorite Deep-Fried Kool- Aid. The LA County Fair will also serve hundreds of other offerings ranging from healthy, organic and locally grown options to the most decadent creations imaginable.
To guarantee that new and returning attractions meet the uncompromising standards of the Fair, an official LA County Fair “Fairdevil” has been designated to ensure the maximum fun factor of this year’s run. The first official LA County Fair mascot since Thummer the Pig in 1948, this tongue-in-cheek individual is responsible for ensuring that every element of the 94th LA County Fair – from the spiciness of the BBQ sauce for the Giant Turkey Legs to this year’s course for the Pig Races to the speed of the Gravitron, the Fair’s fastest ride – are up to snuff.
“Everything the world knows about the LA County Fair – the sheer size, foods, rides, animals, signature attractions and world-class entertainers – is due to decades of behind-the-scenes work by the entire LA County Fair family,” said Michelle DeMott, the Fair’s vice president of branding. “The Fairdevil represents all the men and women who have tirelessly worked their magic over the years to make the LA County Fair what it is today.”
The Fairdevil will represent the Fair in this year’s TV commercials and other advertising, on the web and social pages, at community events before and during the Fair and at the head of the daily Fair parade on certain days. Fair organizers also are producing a series of web videos to introduce the long- time fabricator of fun to the public.
The LA County Fair is also implementing a partner program called “Dare to Care” that showcases its many charitable activities and public service partnerships, and offer the public a number of tangible ways to participate this summer, during the 2016 LA County Fair and beyond.
The 94th anniversary of America’s largest county fair in fun and acreage includes all-new Jurassic Planet, featuring 35 animatronic dinosaurs; a reimagined “Bodies” exhibit; the ultimate hand-on sports experience; a summer ice-skating, snow-sledding village; walk-through floral paintings; the 16-night End of Summer Concert Series; and a carnival midway, farm and exotic animals (including a giraffe!), exclusive food, shopping and entertainment. Closed Mondays (except Labor Day) and Tuesdays.
Visit www.LaCountyFair.com for admission, hours and more information, or call (909) 623-3111.