There is nothing quite like Halloween time at the Park. You can bring a bit of the spooky magic to your home—with a DIY Main Street Mickey Pumpkin straight out of Disneyland Resort. This will make a great table display.
What You’ll Need
- Large pumpkin
- Orange, yellow, white, green, and brown acrylic paint
- 2 styrofoam balls
- Craft knife
- Molding paste
- Hot glue
- Air-dry clay
- Tacky glue
- Moss mat
- Styrofoam base
- Foam core
- Gray foam sheet
- Small pumpkins
- Floral twine
- Small fake flowers
- Bamboo skewers
- Small beads
- Thin black chain
How To Make It
- Paint the large pumpkin a brighter orange color, adding a green stem and details with a red-brown color. Let it dry. With a light orange/yellow color, paint Mickey’s face on the large pumpkin, and let it dry.
- Shape 2 styrofoam balls to look like pumpkins, using a knife (or sculpting/carving tool). These will be Mickey’s ears. With scissors, cut into the bottom so they will sit flush with Mickey’s head. Add molding paste all over the styrofoam to smooth out the texture, and allow them to dry. Paint both to match the Mickey pumpkin (minus the facial features), and let them dry.
- Then add the ears by hot gluing the styrofoam pumpkins to Mickey. Let them dry.
- Make a pumpkin leaf (creating veins with an awl tool), curly vine, and 2 small stems out of air-dry clay. Allow them to dry. Paint leaf veins brown, the surface green, and the vine and stems green. Let them all dry. Hot glue the leaf and vine to the top of Mickey’s head and the stems to his pumpkin ears. Let them dry.
- Make a base for Mickey and the pumpkins. Cut the moss mat into a circle about 1” smaller than the styrofoam base, as it will become the curb. Use tacky glue to adhere the moss to the styrofoam. Let it dry.
- Cut the foam core and gray foam sheet into rings of the same size that will fit right on top of the styrofoam base. This will be the curb. Then hot glue the gray foam sheet onto the foam core ring, and the ring onto the outer edge of the platform. Cut a strip of gray foam sheet for the side of the platform and hot glue it. Let everything dry.
- Make the small pumpkin-stack base. Paint the small pumpkins just like you did the large one for Mickey (minus his facial features). Let them dry. Then hot glue them in a circle and build up layers. Mickey will rest in it when finished.
- Twist up sections of floral twine to look like pumpkin vines. Paint them green and allow them to dry. Add vines to the pumpkin stack using hot glue. Then add white and yellow flowers around the stack with hot glue. Next, add starburst details to the pumpkin stack using yellow paint. Let them dry.
- Make the fence. Paint 11 small bamboo skewers black, and let them dry. Thread a black bead through each, to the middle. Then punch 11 holes (evenly spaced) in your curb using the awl. Insert the skewers. Drape the chain from one skewer to the next. Add a bead at the top of each “fence post” using a dab of tacky glue.
- Place Mickey on top of the pumpkin stack, and enjoy your masterpiece!