This post contains affiliate links and our team will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on the links.
Based on the extraordinary true story, the action-packed, epic tale DEFIANCE arrives on DVD and Blu-ray June 2, 2009 from Paramount Home Entertainment. Directed by Academy Award® winner Edward Zwick (Blood Diamond), DEFIANCE stars Daniel Craig (Quantum of Solace), Liev Schreiber (X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and Jamie Bell (Flags Of Our Fathers) as brothers, simple farmers—outnumbered and outgunned—who turned a group of war refugees into powerful freedom fighters. The inspirational story of family, bravery and survival has been hailed as “gripping” (Larry King), “a must see” (Steve Oldfield, FOX TV) and “complex, engrossing and worth celebrating” (Richard Corliss, Time) and the film received Oscar® and Golden Globe® nominations for Best Original Score.
The DEFIANCE DVD and Blu-ray presentations include commentary by director Edward Zwick, an in-depth look at the making of the film called “Defiance: Return to the Forest”, interviews with the real-life descendants of the Bielski family and photographs taken by the director during the production. Additionally, the Blu-ray includes “Scoring Defiance”, a discussion with composer James Newton Howard and violinist Joshua Bell about the much-lauded score.
The DEFIANCE DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The Blu-ray disc is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English, English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles. The discs include the following special features in high definition as noted:
- Commentary by director Edward Zwick
- Defiance: Return to the Forest (HD)—Explores all aspects of production from the early stages of pre-production to shooting on location in Lithuania. Edward Zwick and his creative team discuss some of the challenges and also the rewards of adapting this well-documented historical event into a feature film.
- Bielski Partisan Survivors (HD)—Photo gallery of images taken by Edward Zwick including behind-the-scenes images and surviving members from the Bielski Otriad.
- Children of the Otriad: The Families Speak (HD)—Descendents of the Bielski family tour the film’s set and relate the story of the real-life partisans along with efforts to preserve the brothers’ legacy.
- Scoring Defiance (HD) —Blu-ray only —Academy Award® nominated composer James Newton Howard and violinist Joshua Bell discuss the incredible film score for Defiance.
- Theatrical trailers (HD)
The overall feel and look of the film is excellent. Everything appears authentic, and the special effects are not overdone as they are in a lot of films. It has a gritty earthiness and is worth seeing because of its historical significance and the simple fact that the Bielskis manage to save 1,200 people. While this might make for a good television program on the History Channel, it just doesn’t quite have enough energy to make for a successful motion picture.