Dazzling animation, groundbreaking special effects and award-winning music earned Mary Poppins five Academy Awards®, including Best Actress and Best Song. The new two-disc DVD features hours of captivating bonus material, including the all-new “Mary Poppins: From Page to Stage”, a fascinating feature that takes audiences backstage for an exclusive look at the making of the Tony Award winning musical, and “Step in Time,” a never-before-filmed musical number performed by the original Broadway cast—also downloadable as an MP3 audio file. Bonus materials also include the ultimate “behind-the-scenes” movie documentary and reminiscences of the film’s stars and legendary composer Richard Sherman.
With its revolutionary blend of live action and pioneering Disney animation, Mary Poppins became an instant hit and was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar®. The film stars the incomparable Dame Julie Andrews, who won the 1965 Best Actress Academy Award for her film debut, and Dick Van Dyke as Bert, the dancing chimney sweep.
Songwriting brothers Richard and Robert Sherman (Bed Knobs and Broomsticks, The Jungle Book, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) received Oscars for Best Song (“Chim Chim Cher-ee”), and Best Score, which includes such unforgettable numbers as “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious,” “Sister Suffragette,” “The Life I Lead,” “The Perfect Nanny,” “A Spoonful of Sugar,” “Jolly Holiday,” “Stay Awake,” “I Love To Laugh,” “Feed the Birds,” “The Fidelity Fiduciary Bank,” “Step in Time” and “Let’s Go Fly a Kite.”
Based on the popular children’s stories by P.L. Travers, Mary Poppins has won the hearts of generations of kids and their parents with its enchanting tale of a magical nanny who changes the lives of two rowdy but neglected kids with determination, discipline and “Just a Spoonful of Sugar.” Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews) takes Jane and Michael Banks (Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber) on magical, musical outings including a play date with adorable animated penguins, a race through the country side on merry-go-round horses and a trip across the rooftops of London on a stairway made of smoke—and always gets them home in time for dinner! With her foolproof mixture of good manners and unpredictable fun, Mary not only introduces order to the chaotic Banks household, but brings the whole family together in the process.
Disney on Broadway
• Mary Poppins from Page to Stage —First a beloved children’s book, then a classic movie and now a smash hit Broadway musical! Fans can follow the story of Mary Poppins from page to stage as the creative team and cast prepare to take the long running show on tour.
• Step in Time—The Broadway cast of Mary Poppins performs the never-before-filmed
number “Step in Time” from the show.
• Step in Time – A downloadable MP3 featuring the Broadway cast of Mary Poppins singing “Step in Time,” featuring Ashley Brown as Mary Poppins and Gavin Lee as Bert.
• Video Intro By Scenic & Costume Designer, Bob Crowley
• Bob Crowley’s Design Galleries—Concept art, costume designs, set designs and set
models for the Broadway musical
• Audio Commentary—Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, Karen Dotrice and Richard Sherman recall the making of Mary Poppins.
• Poppins Pop-Up Fun Facts—Select this option and fun-filled facts about the creation of this classic film pop up during viewing.
• Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious: The Making of Mary Poppins—The definitive behind-the- scenes look at how this unique and beloved film came into being.
• Movie Magic—A look at the special effect techniques used to bring the magical world of
Mary Poppins to life.
• The Gala World Premiere—Footage from the Red Carpet.
• Dick Van Dyke Make-Up Test
• Trailers, Ads and More from the Original Release and Reissue of the Film
• Mary Poppins Still Art Galleries
Music & More
• Disney’s Song Selection—The whole family can sing along to “A Spoonful of Sugar,”
“Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” and any of the film’s other memorable songs as the lyrics pop up on screen. Each song can be selected separately or while watching the film.
• Magical Musical Reunion—Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke and songwriter Richard Sherman eminisce about making Mary Poppins and the music that makes it so special.
• A Musical Journey with Richard Sherman —A delightful magical journey through some of the film’s locations with co-composer Richard Sherman, who reveals surprising secrets about the music of Mary Poppins along the way.
• The Cat That Looked at a King—Live action and animation bring a chapter of P.L. Travers’ Mary Poppins Opens the Door to life! Julie Andrews takes viewers into a magical animated world created in the style of the whimsical chalk drawings in Mary Poppins.
• “Chimpanzoo”—A reconstruction of a song that did not appear in the movie using original storyboard and concept art, accompanied by a new rendition of the song performed by co- composer Richard Sherman.